Friday, October 30, 2020

The missing chocolatier: By Tia

 Mark was my best friend. Mark was kind and a naughty friend. Mark’s dad was a dentist and his mom, a doctor. His dad never allowed Mark to eat candy or chocolate or licorice or any junk food you could think of. That’s why Mark always scored the highest in the health test. Mark and I were at St. Alexander Wonder School in London. Principal W was a strict man. If you got a minute late. you’d have to sit like chickens outside the classroom. Mrs. Janice was the only kind teacher we had. She taught English and didn’t scold us.

Right next to our school there was a chocolate shop called ‘Sally’s sweet tooth’. Sally’s shop was the only chocolate shop we had right next to our school. Sally’s shop helped our school on special occasions. But one special day, a boy named John ate too much of  Sally’s chocolate without anyone noticing and got a stomach ache and blamed it all on Sally’s chocolate that it had something wrong with it. Principle W told Sally to never enter the school after that day. I guess Sally lost her one and only highest paying system. No one actually liked her and neither did she. She was clumsy and mean.

One rainy day after school, Mark and I went to Sally’s shop to buy a chocolate bar. It was a cloudy and cold morning. I insisted mark to eat chocolate, but as usual, his answer was, “No!” As I entered Sally’s shop with Mark, I was scared that Sally might shout or not give me any chocolate. Mark and I got into the shop and went to the chocolate bar section.  We selected the Hershey’s chocolate bar and put it on the billing counter in front of sally. I took out my one pence and gave it to Sally. I thought that she would not give me the chocolate, but she did. She did a small smirk, I knew something wrong was going to happen. As soon as I left the shop with Mark, she shouted, “Thieves! Thieves!” I thought she was shouting at someone else, but as I turned around, she was pointing at us and there was a group of people chasing us. Mark and I ran through the busy street and the dashing rain. I found a small hiding place next to the broken houses and hid there with Mark. Soon, as the chasing people left. I went home. Mother scolded me for missing afternoon supper and told me to go to bed. 

The next morning I went to Mark’s house. While going, I thought of yesterday’s incident, thinking of how Mark and I managed to get rid of those chasing people. I approached Mark’s house and knocked on the door. Soon, Mark opened the door and told me that he was sick after yesterday’s running and couldn’t go to school. I walked to school alone thinking of revenge on Sally. I came back home for supper. After supper, I spent my whole day thinking of revenge. Suddenly, a lightbulb lit up in my mind. I called Mark and told him about the plan. The next day was a holiday and a great day to pull the trick. I woke up and got ready and went to Mark’s house. He was still eating breakfast. I pulled him out of his house and told the instructions again. We had to get the dead rat before Sally went for lunch. It was half-past twelve and we were getting ready. We just needed the rat. I went to the fishing supply store and got the rat. With the dead rat ready, we went to Sally’s shop. We hid next to the shop. As soon, as she went for afternoon supper, we got in quietly and put the dead rat in her bubble gum specials jar, and closed the jar. We went out quickly as she was coming in. Just as I stepped out, I realized I had forgotten my watch inside. It was loose, but Mark pulled me outside as she was coming. We managed to get out quickly before she came.

The next day a large crowd was next to Sally’s shop. I realized why the crowd was there. It was about yesterday’s trick on her. It seemed that she had called the police. She told that the dead rat couldn’t have come inside the jar and closed the lid by itself. I was worried about my watch. Did they find it? Was it still inside the shop? I got scared that the police would anyways find me, so I went to school in a different way. The next day, there were fliers on Sally. Apparently, she had gone missing. I was shocked. Was she tired of us? Did she not like our town? Or did she just vanish? I guess she was just missing.

Written by:

Tia Shrivastav

(For the StoryWritingCompetition)




 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment